Bug Report OBS problem with dual GPU

vmlobo

So i recently bought a new laptop (HP envy m6) with the following specs :
core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz
6GB ram
Dual gpu, Intel hd4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7670M
Windows 8 64bit
Using a test build of obs but alredy tried with stable

My problem is that OBS does not pickup on the Radeon gpu, leaving me stuck with the intel 4000 running the software. This results in the program not picking up anything in gamemode beacause all my games run on the radeon. Below are some screenshots of what i mean. Also in switchable graphics software, if i set obs to run on amd it won't pick up anything, leaving only a black screen. I know the image i'm providing is a bit confusing and of reduced quality but i hope you guys can understand.

Screenshots of the problem : http://i.imgur.com/1CpRjDQ.png

vmlobo

Thanks, but when you say current driver are you referring to the amd driver or the intel hd (or both)? No external monitor

vmlobo

Thanks for the quick replys mate. I will change drivers to the ones posted but only at night since right now im in a bit of a rush, i will post here in a few hours or maybe even tomorrow if i'm short on time. Anyways thekn you very much. PS: the new test build still isn't picking up on the gpu

Voxletum

You shouldn't need to install a different driver.

Basically yes, you would need to force both OBS (make sure you force both the 32 and 64 bit OBS version) and your games onto the Radeon card using Catalyst.

If you can't get it to show up in OBS by doing this (even though it should work when done properly), if I recall correctly the HP laptops have a setting in the BIOS which will let you to enable some sort of manual switching (disabling the automatic switching). If you can find that setting in the BIOS and enable it, then a new option in Catalyst will appear which will let you choose which GPU is used for -every- program that is running. The downside with this is that the normal dynamic switching will not be available, and if you're moving to battery power you will need to manually switch it to run on the integrated card. I believe by changing that in the BIOS and using Catalyst in this way should resolve any issues with detecting the Radeon card.

Before you do this of course, you should get the latest OBS version https://obsproject.com/download

Hepo3

Hi guys! Have the same problem (black screen, no capturing at all) at my XMG p502 with Radeon HD7970M. I've no such option in BIOS, what should I do?
P.S. I've managed to get some results with Dxtory and OBS, but there should be another way to capture whole screen, not just game screens, cause this method has a lot of issues (no desktop, no regular program windows, fps is low).

Voxletum

Hepo3 said:
Hi guys! Have the same problem (black screen, no capturing at all) at my XMG p502 with Radeon HD7970M. I've no such option in BIOS, what should I do?
P.S. I've managed to get some results with Dxtory and OBS, but there should be another way to capture whole screen, not just game screens, cause this method has a lot of issues (no desktop, no regular program windows, fps is low).
You can run the game in windowed mode and use monitor capture with aero enabled.

Hepo3

Voxletum said:
Hepo3 said:
You can run the game in windowed mode and use monitor capture with aero enabled.

1. Window mode costs a lot of fps.
2. It does not work.

To be completely clear I've Windows 8 64bit, AMD HD7970M, i7-3740QM, OBS 0.522b. I had no positive outcome in capturing desktop. In Catalyst mobility center OBS, (to be fair, also every other program) is manually forced to use discrete GPU.
Should post some logs? If yes, let me know.

Edit: just tried to mash all the buttons and check any options and got it to work with Windowed mode + compatibility checked. Still, it does not gives me opportunity to capture desktop and I should add every window I open to OBS as source. And it still costs a lot of fps.

vmlobo

So, i've yet to install the drivers since i have an exam tomorrow and don't want to be msessing arround too much with this right now. As for the BIOS, with the latest bios update installed i don't have any options regarding the GPUs, also, catalyst in my computer makes me choose which gpu is used in which program, so there is no way to force everything onto one, as there was with older catalyst versions, will update tomorrow after the exam about wheater the modded drivers worked. Thank you all for your replys.

Voxletum

Okay well I had done this 2 years ago on an HP laptop. They may have fixed catalyst as the BIOS option was intended to get OpenGL programs like Minecraft to work with the dynamic switching.

Agusum

I had a long chat with Jim about this issue yesterday and I couldn't get it to work on my laptop either. I also have an HP Laptop but with an NVIDIA card instead although unlike vmlobo I can select this NVIDIA card in OBS. I've tried every possible combination of 32/64bit, forced/not forced NVIDIA usage on OBS, etc.

If someone who had the same issue gets it to work please let us know, but right now I think this might be a software bug.

I tried using a version previous to 0.5 (0.472b to be exact) and Game Capture mode worked, although the video flickered so I'm not able to use that for streaming.

amd098

Voxletum said:
Hepo3 said:

Usually on a laptop that means he'll have to cut his settings or he might see a hit in FPS

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Do not use the "select adapter" in video settings for multi-GPU laptops. Make sure it's set to the top one always, and then use the nvidia control panel or whatever to select the GPU to use with the app. To verify that you have the right adapter selected, the file %appdata%\global.ini should have Adapter=0 in [Video].

If you set it to use the nvidia in nvidia's control panel, you will most likely not be able to capture the main desktop or lobby without "compatibility mode" in window/monitor capture.

Hepo3

Sad, cause I've no nvidia adapter.
One more thing - I've exactly the same problem, as vmlobo, in OBS options there is only one option for video adapters: Intel HD 4000.

amd098

Jim said:
Do not use the "select adapter" in video settings for multi-GPU laptops. Make sure it's set to the top one always, and then use the nvidia control panel or whatever to select the GPU to use with the app. To verify that you have the right adapter selected, the file %appdata%\global.ini should have Adapter=0 in [Video].

If you set it to use the nvidia in nvidia's control panel, you will most likely not be able to capture the main desktop or lobby without "compatibility mode" in window/monitor capture.

Thank god that worked! Fixed my issue!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4110&p=22338#p22338

vmlobo

Hey Jim, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, i don't think you understood the problem, if i select obs to run on the amd all i get is a black screen, but if it is on the intel, i am not able to use the game capture on games running on amd. I alredy tried compatibility mode and many combinations of options, unfortunately so far nothing worked. As for the moddded drivers i still haven't installed them, and wont be able to do so today due to a massive headache. Thank you all for the reply's will appreciate if anyonne finds a solution meanwhile, and will post back about the drivers